Private Academic Tuition
from Early Years to Year 6
In our tutoring sessions, we develop skills and confidence in reading, writing and maths through the use of games, creative learning and fun resources. We encourage you, the parent / carer, to be involved in the teaching and learning process wherever possible, so that you feel confident in supporting your child as he or she learns.
We believe that securing phonetic knowledge is of the utmost importance in literacy; therefore we use phonics as the cornerstone of our literacy teaching, both in reading and writing.
Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1
- Learning / securing letter sounds and names
- De-coding words
- Blending and segmenting
- Developing strategies to learn ‘tricky’ high-frequency words
Key Stage 2
- Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation (GPS)
- Prefixes and Suffixes
- Root verbs
- Latin Derivatives
- Technical, grammatical knowledge needed for working towards the new curriculum Year 6 SATS.
Maths (Key Stage 1 and 2)
There are several key areas in the Maths curriculum, including place value, shape, space, and measure and calculations.
Maths tuition will be personalised according to the needs of your child. We can focus on a specific area, take a more global approach, or provide your child with the tools necessary to begin the next academic year with confidence.
Additional SATS tuition can be tailored to meet the needs of your child in order to build-up his or her ability and extend their knowledge and confidence in Literacy (including Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation), Maths and Exam Technique.
- Do you feel that your child needs a quick boost in a specific area of learning?
- Does your child lack confidence in their ability to ‘keep up’ with classroom learning?
- Does your child need some extra support in the build up to a specific test or exam e.g. SATs?
- Is your child apprehensive about the forthcoming academic year?
We can offer support in the form of stand-alone lessons and flexi tutoring. Sheila, as academic tutor coordinator, will conduct an initial detailed assessment costing £59, to include baseline assessment, detailed parent feedback and an agreed action plan to support the child as they move forward with their learning. The length of this initial session will vary depending on the needs of the individual child. Sheila will then allocate the most suitable tutor to work with your child.
Fees are payable half-termly in advance.
- 1 hour - £37.50
- Initial assessment including parental feedback - £59
Our booking terms and conditions can be downloaded as a PDF here.
Sheila and her team like to use Numicon kits and particularly recommend the following two, should you wish to buy one for yourself: